Translate

Thursday 4 June 2020

Seven Essential Steps to Increase Your Faith & Claim Your Healing – Step 6

Being Thankful

In the last blog we talked about how to not let discouragement keep you from believing you will receive what you’ve asked for. I read about three faithful Jewish men who were severely tried in Daniel 3, and how God brought them deliverance.

This blog is about being thankful in our trials.  And, we’re also going to look at a sure remedy to help us overcome when we are being tested in our faith. So, stay with me. It’s going to be good! 

One of the things that may happen when we are being tested and tried in our faith is that we focus more on our problems than anything else. Have you ever found yourself immersed in the problem rather than letting it go in faith to God? I sure have. But last year when God had impressed on me to write the book about faith and I was undergoing trials, He kept encouraging me to be THANKFUL! You can write this down. Be thankful, instead of murmur and complain, and wish things were different! What it does is it takes the focus off of ourselves. Because that’s what we are doing - we are focusing on our problems and ourselves, and there may even be some self pity thrown in there, or envy as we look at others, and we wonder why they aren’t suffering as much as we are! Soon we have concocted quite a large kettle of fish! We quickly discover that focus on self won’t get us anywhere but make us more miserable. 

Thankfulness for what we have and the many other blessings we enjoy, will lighten our gloomy or anxious spirit and put things in proper perspective!

This was brought home to me one night when I seemed to toss and turn most of the night. The next morning the Lord spoke to me about believing. He said that I needed to put in much greater efforts in thinking positive. He said that everything is going to change once I change my attitude. He impressed on me to start by praising Him and being thankful. 

So many losses had occurred that I felt so weighed down that I couldn’t get up again. I just couldn’t see my way clear to look forward to anything. I learned that I change my attitude by believing for what I desire — I must believe for healing, that I will be fulfilled in my life, and that all will be well. I do this by being thankful for my current blessings, which are so many it is hard, if not nearly impossible, to count them all. Thankfulness builds faith when we remember all that God has done for us. 

But there is more that the Lord wanted to show me about faith and overcoming trials. He clearly spoke to me after that one night I had tossed and turned, and He also said to do everything in my power to help others and try and make their life better. Put every effort into doing good for others. Stop just thinking of myself and my own pain. Think of others and help them. So, the second important point that I want to emphasize is the importance of helping others when we are under severe trials. 

And it has to be a conscious choice to help others whenever you feel the symptoms of illness or sickness, pain, and so on. It’s not something we do when all is right with the world. We do it when it is the hardest even when we feel we are unable do it! When fear sneaks in, and you are starting to fret and worry, this is what you do! Helping others will take away and lessen the pain, or at least make you forget about it. You start to shift your focus from self and onto a greater cause, helping or even praying for someone else. 

Let’s hear what the Word of God has to say about this: 

Rom 12:9  Let love be without dissimulation [pretence]. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
Rom 12:10  Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Rom 12:11  Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
Rom 12:12  Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Rom 12:13  Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 

After the Lord had spoken to me about thankfulness and helping others, I made a little list for myself. You might want to do the same. 

Stop complaining. 

Start the charity at home -- do some baking to have delicious food around. Finish projects. Be the first to volunteer to make a meal. 

Go out of my way to make others happy. 

Stop moping around as if God and others don’t care about me. 

Put every effort into believing and picturing the desired outcomes.

I love the following verses that speak of joy, which is also a by-product of having a thankful heart. I found these verses in various Psalms in the Bible. You may have different favorite verses that you find about joy. It is important to look them up and write them down. Remind yourself to read them often. They will certainly uplift! 

Psa 5:11  But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
Psa 16:11  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Psa 21:1  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The king shall joy in thy strength, O LORD; and in thy salvation how greatly shall he rejoice!
Psa 27:6  And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.
Psa 30:5  For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
Psa 32:11  Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.
Psa 35:9  And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.
Psa 35:27  Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
Psa 42:4  When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
Psa 43:4  Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.

I encourage you today to be thankful, and also to devise a plan to change the old patterns of worry and fret. Make a list of who you can bless and help today, or even pray for. It will make all the difference in your own life as you go through your various trials. 

Stay tuned for the seventh and last inspirational blog in this important series on faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment