Translate

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Truth or Error?


In the past several months, my husband and I have been involved in a ministry of sending forth and defending the Word of God to people who claim to be Christians, and yet, do not believe in hell as an eternal place of punishment.  We have responded to their outright denial and dismissal of the Word of God, and the many passages of Scripture that emphatically state the existence of hell.  As I've continued to read their responses to us, I couldn't help but notice they seldom, if ever, use Scripture to back up their heady opinions.  And I've also noticed they seldom, if ever, mention Jesus.  They have never mentioned Him in the context of the full salvation and His work on the cross to save us from such a horrible place as hell.  But then again, why would they mention Jesus?  They don't need Jesus, the cross, or salvation if they don't believe in hell as a place of eternal torment.  This is and has been deeply perplexing and disturbing to me. 

As a Christian, my new life in Christ began with confession.  I had to confess that I was a sinner, and I had to repent of my sins and literally abandon and turn away from the sinful life I had led.  Then I publicly confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior, and continue to confess Him as such to this very day.  Jesus is my life and my all in all, because He gave His life for me and I owe Him more than I could ever pay.  I am constantly challenged to put Him first and love Him above all, even my own self.  I realize that a person can be a Christian and not love Jesus as fully as they should.  In fact there are different degrees of love towards Jesus, since Jesus Himself pointed this out in the Book of Revelation. 

Rev 3:14    And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15    I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 

Today’s message is for us to clearly be able to discern those who have the spirit of error, and those who have the spirit of truth, so that we are not easily deceived.  In I John, we see how this is done.  

1Jn 4:1    Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1Jn 4:2    Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1Jn 4:3    And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1Jn 4:4    Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1Jn 4:5    They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1Jn 4:6    We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
1Jn 4:7    Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1Jn 4:8    He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
1Jn 4:15    Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 

If we are truly a born-again Christian, it all has to be with heart-felt and sincere confession.  Jesus must be first, right, left and center.  He must be our all in all.  And our lives and our works will reflect our allegiance and faithfulness to Jesus. We may falter, but the Spirit He puts within all those who are saved according to the Bible, never will.  He will always bring us back to the place of confession, and our lives will noticeably be changed. 

Today there are many false doctrines and false prophets among us who are deceived and trying to deceive.  Our greatest defense is the Word of God.  We must get back to reading and studying our Bible, the precious and powerful Word of God given to us to live by (in fact, we are to live by EVERY WORD of God - see Luke 4:4).  There is a great added benefit to turning to the Word of God - as we read the Word, we will grow in our faith, and become ever stronger to stand against the evil work of the enemy performed through those who are deceived.

No comments:

Post a Comment