Translate

Saturday 27 November 2021

Tribute to an Artist Friend

This past week I was shocked and dismayed to discover an artist friend of mine, Bev, had passed away a few days before.  I knew she had been in a fight of her life for a few years, but she had been strong.  I had no idea she would pass away so suddenly.  I felt it important to share some thoughts about her life because she really had an impact on me.  In fact, what Bev did was fill a void. 

Several years ago, I was part of an artist group that brought about an artist tour, and we called it The Wave (Artists Studio Tour).  We were artists living in the Interlake area by Lake Winnipeg.  We opened up our homes or cottages and made them into art galleries.  I made part of our house into a gallery, and called it Creative Focus Gallery.  In the first year of The Wave, Bev came to my gallery.  She looked around at my art work, and introduced herself.  Then she told me that she had a gallery in the city, and asked me if I’d like to be one of her artists?  Well, of course I said yes! Who wouldn’t? 

And so, she gave me (and many other relatively unknown artists) exposure to a much larger audience in the city, and in a part of the city close to downtown, in the historical French district, St. Boniface.  My work has been displayed there and sold there for nearly twenty years, and it never cost me a dime.  Bev simply took some commission to help pay a few bills.  This week I went to the gallery and picked up what was left of my artworks.  I can’t tell you the flood of memories I had, and the deep sadness that filled my heart that day.

I thought about the one show I had there, and the artist receptions she had for each artist lucky enough to have a show (and for the duration of 3 weeks I believe).  I was invited to bring in my work whenever I wanted and as often as I wished.  Bev herself was a fabric artist.  I just looked at how she pieced together a coherent and interesting unique piece, and marveled at her talent.

But Bev did much more than give us struggling artists a place to show and sell our work, she provided a place of community and a social life.  We were welcome to come and visit her anytime.  Me and my husband considered her and her husband Robert very good friends.  She had get-togethers called Creative Coffeebreak.  Artists would come and discuss art.  Sometimes it would get pretty philosophical, but always inspirational and thought-provoking.  She always had something to eat and coffee or tea available.  One time, I met one of Bev’s co-workers from her day job, and we’ve been very good friends ever since. 

Overall, my life was touched by Bev in so many ways, I will never forget her.  I know she made a difference in so many lives, especially artists.  I was at her gallery many times, and customers would come in and stay awhile.  There was such a friendly atmosphere, no one wanted to leave.  She served many patrons through the years, and also, gave artists a tremendous opportunity to spread their wings.  I feel inspired by her life, her willingness and generosity to bring so many of us on board with her adventure of running an art gallery, and the courage to explore art itself.  I will keep her memory alive, and celebrate her life by continuing my own wonderful journey of art exploration.  I am both honored to have known Bev, and feel challenged by her life. 

Bev filled a void in the local art world, at least she certainly did that for me.  Yet, I think of another void that I have felt too often, and that is a void within my own heart.  Too often I have tried to fill it with something temporary, and it just won’t last.  For me, art alone isn’t the answer to fulfill this deep empty well found within each of us.  Wells need to be filled, and I’m ever so thankful that when I was only nineteen, that void was filled with the person of Jesus Christ, who became my Lord and Savior.  All I had to do was receive His free gift of life, love and most importantly, His uncondemning hand of forgiveness. A truer friend I’ve never known who loves someone like me who least deserves it.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

I can’t help but think there are many people right now who feel that void, and they’re looking for meaning and purpose in their life.  Art has provided that for me in so many ways, as I’m sure it did for Bev.  For you, it might be cooking, sports, movies or something else.  All these things we enjoy are wonderful, for the moment.  But true and lasting fulfillment can only come from God who loves us and has a plan for each of our lives.

I hope, that like my dear friend Bev, we have the courage to not only explore our interests, but fill a void in people’s lives if we can.  More importantly, I hope we’ll turn to the only One who fills our void and fills our cup like no one or nothing on earth is able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment