Translate

Tuesday 24 December 2019

It’s All About Jesus


Recently, I heard a carol I hadn’t heard for many years. It brought a memory to mind of being with my sister Adella in Saskatchewan. It was a snowy Saturday and we were driving to Prince Albert to do some Christmas shopping. I had a weekend off from Bible School in Eston. The church in Melfort had given me $100 since they had adopted me as a struggling first year student, so I could do some Christmas shopping. They had given me other care packages too. So did my parents. In fact, my mom had sent me a three-foot Christmas tree complete with lights and decorations. I proudly displayed it in my dorm room.

I remember how worried I was since I had no money for Christmas. I wanted to buy everyone a gift, even small ones. So, my sister Adella took me to Prince Albert and we went shopping.  I bought a couple of Christmas tapes in the Bible store, and we listened to them on the way back to Melfort.

How different this Christmas was to all the ones before. You see, I had just recently been set free by Jesus.  He sought me out there at Bible School, and over time He became my best most trusted Friend, and Lord and Savior.  I had a joy and a peace and a hope I had never known before.  Yes, I became a Christian when I was five, but I didn’t really know Jesus like I did when I was almost 19. You know, when I think back to that day with my sister and how beautiful the countryside was, it wasn’t so much the scenery, although it was truly breathtaking, but it was about what had happened to me on the inside.

To me, life itself had taken on a beauty and a wonder I had missed since childhood. But that wasn’t enough to fill my heart with joy. It’s when change occurs on the inside, that’s really where it counts. It’s never the outward, but its what’s happening on the inside. Jesus was dealing with all my fears at that time. And I was looking to Him, and not to others to fulfill me and help me. I was truly coming into my own, with Jesus as my constant guide. He was forming me into His Workmanship (the name of our first-year class). Many times, through the years, I knew God had been faithfully working in me, and designing His own version of His own perfect masterpiece.  It has always come at a cost of giving up more of me, which is always a good thing.

 
God is so faithful. When I received that surprise $100, I knew it was a gift from God Himself — the church obeying the prompting of the Lord. I received it from Him. You see, whereas before I thought I was worthless because of the sinful life I had led, Jesus had lifted me up and He completely changed my heart.  I think now He wanted to show off His miracle-working power.  People could hardly believe the big change they saw in me.

When I came home to Souris, then Winnipeg for Christmas, things happened. That change became very evident when I went to see my old college friends at a Christmas party. I couldn’t get into it anymore. I had no desire for alcohol or drugs. I was just basking in the love of Jesus and it showed. My eyes were brimming with joy, and my heart was bursting with thanksgiving. Peace had beautifully settled over my life, and I now had purpose.  Jesus gave me a new life and a new start. 

That Christmas at home it was quiet. It was just me and my Mom and Dad. I remember Christmas morning I opened up my gift from them and it was a brand, new Scofield KJ Bible. Oh, how thrilled I was. I couldn’t have received a better gift.

This Christmas I pray that you will be overcome with the beauty, majesty, grace and love of God.  I pray that you’ll experience what I did those many years ago – that you will know that its not the scenery, the tinsel, the gifts, the meal, or even your loved ones and friends that give you ultimate purpose in your life, it is always all and only about Jesus. 

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.  Isaiah 9:6 

No comments:

Post a Comment