Translate

Tuesday 15 September 2015

A Comfortable Way That Leads to Hell



Col 2:8  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:9  For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

What can happen when we start believing what the world believes, and we start to stray from the tried, true and tested Word of God?  Just how far can this take a person on the broad path that leads to destruction?  I remember many years ago when Shirley MacLaine said she was god and that we are all gods.  It is a New Age humanistic idea that places man at the front and center of importance, and puts him at an elevated level of self-importance so he never has to feel bad about himself or any of his actions. It is an idea that has filtered into our educational institutions, psychology offices, books, movies and all sorts of media.  Self-importance seems to rule wherever you turn.  Even some children have the idea that they are perfect angels never deserving of discipline, right?   Of course, you would hope not to find this in Christian circles, since it is the exact opposite of the humility that is to be a sign that we recognize our true nature and we repent from our sin.  If you want to go back even further than Shirley MacLaine, Satan was the first creature that we know of who used this ploy on Eve.

Gen 3:4  And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. 

Now we know that this was completely twisted, and rather than be as gods as the serpent implied, after Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit, they had their eyes opened alright, but to the fact that they had disobeyed and sinned against God. In fact they ran and tried to hide themselves from God!! This doesn't sound like people who were now in an elevated god-like state, does it? 

So if someone comes up to you and says, “I am god, and we are all gods,” what would you say to them?  I had such an experience not too long ago, and I responded immediately (after shuddering at the thought), and said, “No, I am not a god; I am a sinner saved by the grace of God!” I had not started this conversation, but I knew I had to answer several more issues that arose from that opening statement!  I was able to share with her that, putting aside the organization of the church (which she had said had never done anything for her except make her feel bad about herself), that it was really all about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I told her that Jesus had paid the price for our sin and He was the only way to get to heaven.  I also told her that if we don't love God, we don't know God (let alone say that we are a god!). (I John 4:7-8).

So then the conversation led to a discussion on whether all religions believe the same thing and that Christianity isn't the only religion. She said something I’ve heard many times before and that is that there are many ways to God.  I just told her again what Jesus said:

Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Then we talked about good works.  My friend argued that people were good and that we're all good and that God loves us all no matter what (and keep in mind that she believes we are all gods).  I said He did love us, but that we were not all good.  I shared that the Bible teaches that our works aren't good enough, and how do you gage what is good and what is not?  She argued profusely with me about us all being good.  But then again, this is the premise of humanism and the New Age philosophies.  If you think about it, it is embedded in our charter of Rights and Freedoms.  This means that a person’s right can supersede the rights of another as in the case of abortion.  A woman has a “right” to decide what happens to her own body, but the fetus has no rights to decide if he or she wants to live. So we must carefully examine what is at the root of the idea of human rights, and see if any of it really lines up with the Bible.

So then as alarm bells were ringing out as the conversation progressed, I thought about my friend’s eternal destiny, and I asked, What about heaven?  I shared that not everyone makes it into heaven because they have to receive the free gift of salvation that Jesus provided for us.  I told her that those who have not received this gift are condemned already (John 3:18).  I also said that Jesus said that not everyone who calls me Lord, Lord will enter into heaven even if they have done many good works like heal the sick and raise the dead. He will say "I never knew you, depart from me." (see Matthew 7:21-23).  

At one point my friend said that the Bible was too old to be relevant for today and that is was written 2,000 years ago, and it was written by man.  Isn't that just like the devil to make a person doubt the authenticity of the Word of God? This is what Satan did to Eve way back at the starting line.  So I just kept quoting Scripture knowing that God's Word is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12), and His Word won't return void (Isaiah 55:11).  And at one point, I prayed and I asked God to give me the right words to say to her. I hoped that the right Scripture would come to mind and was so thankful that I had memorized so many Scriptures when I was just a child.

Then she said that Jesus was a prophet just like Buddha and Mohammed and she named a few others. I said, but none of them died for us. Only Jesus died for us. Well, it seemed that whatever I said, there was a disagreement.  But again, I felt such a sense of urgency for my friend’s eternal soul, and I told her that she better know where she is going after death because it is extremely important. Hell is real and there is no escape.  She argued again.  I told her that heaven is real, and I knew both places are real because I had seen and experienced visions of both of them. I shared with her that when I was young I was in a car accident and nearly died and felt my life slipping away. I was sure I was going to hell and there was no escape. I couldn't wake up!  She just said that heaven and hell are right here on earth.  Then she said that the idea of hell was just fear tactics.  I said that if that is what it takes, then to be afraid of dying because a person knows they aren't ready, then fear is good if it means they will turn their life over to God, even at the end of their life.

Finally, I wanted her to know that Jesus is real and that He comes to us at the point of where we are at.  So I gave her my testimony of how Jesus came to me when I was at the end of my young life with no purpose, and no place to go. He spoke to me and He showed me in Hiss Word who HE is, and I got to do more than read the Word of God. I got to experience it first hand for myself and it changed my life. I told her that this is how I know the Bible is real and not just a book of dry words that is old and meaningless. I said that it is alive and it is life-changing and I am living proof of that!

After this conversation ended and my friend left, I felt that perhaps my friend wanted to discuss these things to see if I might have something to say that she could agree with and therefore be comfortable in her life without Christ.  I tried to warn her and I knew I had to speak the Word of God as boldly as I could, and that it was really important.  
Friends, if you are a Bible-believing Christian, please be careful to stay in the Word of God, and use it as an ultimate authority for absolutely everything you find that is questionable.  And please pray for people like my friend who are confused and do not feel that they need anything more than the feel-good philosophies they believe in!  Time is indeed short. No one knows the hour or the day when we draw our last breath or when Jesus returns.  Eternity lasts forever, and it is too serious to leave to chance.  Yes, God is merciful and God is love, and that's why we must respond to Him today to experience His mercy and love, and not wait until tomorrow.  If you still haven't received this free gift of salvation, please go to this link that will show you how simple it is.  

Lastly, I would not have thought that I would be called on to witness that day when my friend broached the subject about us all being gods.  But you never know when the opportunity will arise, so please be prepared.   You and I might be the last link that leads to a person’s eternal salvation and determines their final destiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment