Translate

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Is There a Cure for Cancer?

Recently, we were very sorry when a good friend of ours died of cancer. She was the sweetest person you'd ever meet, always had a smile for you, never heard her say anything bad about anyone, and she had a positive and upbeat attitude.  She was a Bible-believing born-again believer as well.  So I wondered, Why would God allow her to get cancer, suffer with it for a few years, and then have it defeat her, and she wasn't even that old? I wondered, why aren't more people healed of cancer and never have it return?  It seems to go completely against Scripture, since in the Word, as born-again blood-bought believers, we are promised healing.  Scripture records that when Jesus had His earthly ministry, whoever came to Him needing healing were healed or raised from the dead.  The disciples and apostles had the same experience, again and again people were miraculously healed. Jesus said that we will do greater works than even He did (John 14:12)!  I can attest that this is not just hearsay -- In my own life, I have been healed countless times, and I continue to be healed. I know others who can say the same!  Praise God for this!  

So I asked the Lord directly, "Why are so many people, especially Christians, dying of cancer?"  I believe that I received a very interesting answer from the Lord, and I feel I need to share this.  He explained that ever since the beginning of time and down through the ages, there have been many different diseases, plagues, flus, viruses and so on that have killed countless people.  He explained that in His Word, we are given specific instructions for life, how to live and how to be healthy and thrive in body, mind and spirit.  In the Old Testament, all of the laws given to the Jewish people were for their benefit, not because God was trying to punish them or deny them something!  Everything He commanded was for their ultimate good, as it is for ours!  When we violate His Word and continue to do so, then we leave ourselves open to these diseases and things begin to break down.  The Lord explained to me that we open a door for disease (or poverty, or a breakdown in relationships, etc. etc.) to enter our life until these sins are brought to light to be dealt with according to Scripture.   

I immediately thought of the Ten Commandments, and especially the first one: 

Exo 20:3  Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Deu 10:12  And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

A host of thoughts came to me, and other verses in the New Testament along the same lines.  Jesus said:  

Mat 10:37  He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Mat 10:38  And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Mat 10:39  He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

How does idolatry occur?  I thought about how some families stick so close together, they shut out everyone else, even the Lord.  Some parents won't let their children go, and some children never want to leave home.  I'm not talking about practical arrangements where it is cheaper for children to live at home to save money while going to college, or to save up enough to buy their own house when they leave home.  I'm talking about relationships that are a stumbling block and that prevent relationship with God, and prevent an older child or a parent to fulfill a calling or ministry to reach the lost. 

Most importantly, we must ask ourselves if our relationships draw us closer to Jesus, or steal all of our time, and draw us away from the things of God? These relationships can become idols because we are putting a person or people before God, and this also opens the door to physical and other breakdowns and diseases. I realize there are many special circumstances such as care-giving for aging parents, or looking after children 24/7, and children with disabilities, single parents, or an ailing spouse, etc. These would not necessarily be included. 

In my understanding, other than children who do not yet understand Scripture (a separate topic altogether), many people who die who could very well have been healed, have been an open target for these diseases.  With disease comes loss of lifestyle and eventual loss of life.  We must keep in mind that Jesus said that He gives life, but the devil comes to destroy:

Joh 10:10  The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

So is disease of God?  Not according to the Word.  It can only come from the evil one, Satan.  Satan comes to rob, steal, kill and destroy.  He walks about seeking whom he may devour.  

1Pe 5:8  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Is Satan looking for people who have left a door open in their lives and they are easy prey?  Will he find bitterness, strife, unforgiveness, idolatry, lusts of the flesh, or any other unconfessed sin that the Bible clearly condemns? 

I am not a doctor and make no medical claims here, but it's interesting that cancer is called a "devouring disease" attacking essential blood cells.  I also think that it's no wonder scientists and the medical professionals cannot find a cure for cancer!  We often wonder why after all these years and millions and billions of dollars have they been unsuccessful? Could it be because it has a SPIRITUAL ROOT and not an environmental one or because of heredity, etc.? 

So what do we do with this incredibly eye-opening information?  For me, I'm going to go into my prayer closet and ask God what areas of my life do I need to be aware of where I may have left a door open for Satan to attack.  Is it fear and unbelief?  Is it a form of idolatry?  Is it a lust of the flesh that goes contrary to God's Word?  Is it unforgiveness, gossip, or greed?  Once revealed, it will be important to repent of it and bring it to the cross where we will find freedom and forgiveness. Finally, we need to be ever aware of the many wise instructions given us in the Word, all for our benefit, and to apply it daily to our lives. And remember, God loves us no matter what!

Rom 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

I hope and pray you have been blessed by this, and that you will experience perfect health and the abundant life that Jesus offers.  Amen!








No comments:

Post a Comment