Translate

Wednesday 23 July 2014

A Special Kind of Legacy - PART 1

In this blog, I would like to share part of a legacy that has been passed on to me from my mom, Pauline, who recently went home to be with Jesus.  She was a remarkable woman who is and will be remembered for her Godly life.  In thinking about the many virtuous qualities she had, I knew that it would be important to share them because they have had such a lasting effect on me, my family and so many others.  Since her passing, we discovered that her life had a tremendously positive impact on everyone who ever met her or knew her, but this is not surprising, since we had seen it consistently exemplified throughout her lifetime of 86 years.  I came to realize how important it is what we do and say each day to live out the many truths in the Bible that we believe, and not just pay lip service to it.  I couldn't fit all the qualities into one blog, so there will be another to follow. 

Encourager 


Heb 3:13a    But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; 

At the memorial service, we each took our part in honoring her with our memories.  It was the second memorial celebration we had for her, and I marvelled how each person who took part, all said pretty much the same things about my mom, and it was echoed again and again in every sympathy card we each received, and any tributes to her that people had written online.  She was known for her acts of kindness and as someone who knew how to make you feel special.  If you had a talent, like singing, as my cousin shared, and she heard you sing, she would say, "You are the best singer I have ever heard!  She had a gift of encouragement that kept us all going through the many days and trials of our attempted successes.  When I started sewing, and she would see a skirt I was making, or had made, she'd say, "You have a natural talent.  It's right in you to sew."  So I would keep sewing more and more challenging projects, and work through confusing and difficult patterns to make suit jackets, winter jackets, pants with pockets, and also dresses; you name it, I likely made it!  Anything that I wrote, she read, and affirmed to me over and over again how good a writer I was.  Thanks in a large part to her huge support, I have now written and published 32 books with two more on the way, and I have other books I've written that are not yet published.  She would extol all the many things I did almost to the point I wanted to run and hide, because I felt that it was sometimes too much, and others might feel bad.  My siblings felt the same, since she also clearly let everyone know how smart, or skilled, or talented we each were, and yet we loved that about her, the way she built us up.  When it became clear that my mom wasn't going to get better, my niece said, "She'll likely be encouraging Jesus in heaven, telling him what a great job He is doing."  Do we encourage one another?  We need to encourage others at every opportunity, since who knows how far this can take someone?  Perhaps there is someone today who is struggling to succeed, or is feeling discouraged by setbacks, or is hampered by a lack of confidence.  Let's not hesitate to lift someones spirits, as this is what the Lord would have us do. 

Evangelist 


2Ti 4:5    But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 

My mom was never afraid to speak up and share her love for and faith in Jesus.  She did it lovingly and respectfully, and with the same kind heart she had when she used her gift of encouragement.  She wasn't verbally preaching a sermon either, she was living it out with every kindness she bestowed.  Sometimes I was with her when she'd say a word or two to someone she wouldn't know who had shared some difficulty they were having.  She'd tell them she would pray for them, or she'd say "Let Jesus help you. He cares about our every need."  I wrote some tracts, and my mom would make sure she had a stack of them to leave places, and give them away.  She'd tuck them into letters, or just hand them out.  She was not afraid to spread the Gospel in any way she could.  She faithfully attended church all the years I was growing up, and well beyond.  As her former pastor said in his tribute about my parents to the effect that we were always in church "every Sunday."  Many times she would have invited someone or a family to come and she'd encourage them to keep coming so they could continue to grow in their faith.  She was a great publicist when it came to inviting people to church and the many church functions.  I know that because of what I learned and have seen from my mom, that I too have taken evangelism seriously, and it is something that weighs heavy on my heart as something very important to continue to do all the days of my life.  And according to Scripture, this is a requirement and a calling for every believer to do, to reach the lost for whom Christ loved, suffered and died for. 

Hospitality 


1Pe 4:9    Use hospitality one to another without grudging. 

Hospitality is when we open up our home in a warm and welcoming way, and make our guests feel like they are very important to us.  We might serve them tea or coffee, and always offer some kind of snack or meal.  Hospitality seems to be almost a lost art today as we have all become so busy with our lives.  Not so with my mom.  She served in the capacity of hostess to the absolute full, setting a beautiful table with her fine china, lacy tablecloths, napkins and holders, and beautiful table centrepieces.  The house would be spic and span clean, and when you walked in the door, you could smell the turkey roasting in the oven, or the tender  roast beef cooked to just the right temperature.  I never tasted gravy as good as when my mom made it.  Her home-made apple pies would melt in your mouth, and always complete with ice cream.  We'd sit around the table and our home would be filled with love and laughter.  That was the way our home was all the years I can remember growing up and beyond.  My parents would invite friends, neighbours, visiting missionaries, relatives who popped in unexpectedly, and so on.  There was always ample food, and all home-made by my mom.  Many people commented how they remember the big spread my mom would lay out for family and guests alike. No one left our home feeling hungry, but were more than likely stuffed, and usually there was a special care package that went home with each guest.  Those are my most pleasant and treasured memories.  What a tremendous gift to give others, the gift of hospitality.  No wonder it is mentioned a few times in the Bible to give others an opportunity to be blessed by our willingness to open up our home and share of our bounty, however large or humble it may be. I learned from my mom that it is truly a great way to fellowship and show the love of God in practical ways. 

Please watch for my next blog, as there are some equally important qualities to be learned from my mom, and ones that are and can be life-changing.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment