Translate

Friday 7 March 2014

Identity Crisis

Recently I read a blog by a popular blogger and he was talking about the problems of his generation, the millennials (ages 18-34).  Mainly, he was saying that there are millions of them still living at home, and seem to be not moving forward with their own lives.  Then he discussed several things they need to do to get moving, and actively pursuing their life careers and so on.  It was good advice, I thought, and yet something was missing.  I read the many comments following the post, and mainly people liked the blog, and then proceeded to share how they had to work hard for whatever they got, and they were not allowed to sit comfortable at home, and then expect life to hand them whatever they need -- they had to work hard for it whether they liked it or not.  I even added my own well-thought out comment.  I wrote what I thought was that "something missing" in the blog (although I never actually said in the comment that there was something missing).  After I sent my comment, I kept checking, but it was NOT accepted for publication, and this is one of the very few times my comments have NOT been posted.  So I would like to share the insights I had after reading this particular blog.  Please note that I did not quote any Scripture in my comment, but I will be doing so here.

 For one thing, I said that I thought when we start slotting people into generational categories, such as busters, boomers, millennials, etc., we are really putting a limit on people.  If people don't know who they are, and they are already having an identity crisis, and they read that they belong to a certain group with certain characteristics, they will most likely only reach the standards set out for them; usually they will go no further.  I know this from teaching.  Most students will rarely reach beyond the standard I set for them, unless there is a great personal reward for them (like winning a scholarship for bigger and better things, for instance).  I shared that when I became a Christian, all things became new for me. 

 2Co 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

 Gal 6:15  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

 Isn't it interesting that after we receive Jesus, if we are not following His ways, we can so easily slip into the world's way of thinking?  No one really knows who they are until someone suggests something.  The beautiful thing about belonging to Jesus is that He defines who we are, and He gives us purpose and direction as well, which is something sadly lacking in so many young people's lives (as was mentioned in the blog).

 As a new creation in Christ Jesus, I no longer live by the ways of the world or my own self-centered ideas (and when I do I miserably fail).  I now live by faith in the Son of God.  I shared that my life is now driven by obedience to the Word, and a joyful willingness to serve The Lord.  I shared how I had always wanted to be a writer, and I received both college and university education to hone my skills (by paying for it myself and working full time).  Yet, I had to work as an office worker for most of my life even though I never really enjoyed that type of work.  During that time, God was teaching me patience, endurance, and to trust in Him.  I shared that God finally opened the door for me to write full-time, which is what I do now.

 Commenters talked a lot about how they had to work hard to survive, and some were seeming to wear their hard-earned accomplishments as personal badges of honor.  In my case, even though I had to work hard in college and to get two university degrees later on, God was truly directing my paths and giving me strength to work at the same time (for my college and first degree).  I am always so thankful that He provided me with a good government job that paid well.  When I finally got married, and was able to write-full time, I could never take personal credit for the way this came about.  It was a complete miracle. God literally put my husband and me together because we couldn't get past a friendship we had enjoyed for several years.  My husband wasn't even a Christian, and he had tried on his own for years to be a "good" person, but God had a perfect timing, and I could not marry him until he had become born-again as outlined in Scripture.  And as for my writing, God had laid it on my husband's heart so strongly that he was supposed to support me in my writing, and this was before we were in love and married, and before he was even a Christian!  Talk about a miracle of God!  So once we were married, I quit my office job, and began to write full time.  It hasn't always been easy either, but we both know in our heart that we are doing what God has called us each to do!  So you see, it isn't hard to find direction when you are a child of God, blood bought by Jesus, and He calls you His own.  It doesn't matter what age we are either; God has a plan for every one of us and He knows us, and HE knows the way in which we should go, even if we don't know.

Luk 12:7    But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

 Jer 29:11  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

 I ended my comment that, in reality, we all have to give an account of our life to God, and we have to do this regardless of our age, which generation we are from, and so on.  One day God will ask us what we did with our gifts, talents, resources, opportunities, and time, etc.  I was thinking of the following Scriptures:

 Rom 14:11    For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. Rom 14:12    So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

 So whatever age you are, and whether you are struggling through life having difficulty knowing which way to go, or knowing who you are in the great scheme of things, or perhaps you afraid to leave the comforts of your current situation, take courage and know that if you are a child of God, there is literally a purpose for everything that happens to you.  Ask God for help and direction, and He will lead you in the way that you should go.  And if you are reading this and you don't know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, then please go to this link on my web page, The Way of Salvation, to find out just how simple it is for you too to become a "new creation in Christ."  It's the most important thing you will ever agree to, and you will be so glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment