Translate

Thursday 4 April 2013

More than just Positive Thinking


In my last blog, I wanted to share some of the dangers of embracing positive thinking philosophies if they are not soundly Scriptural.  I offered other points of view about positive thinking by providing alternative Scriptural contexts.  I wanted to say if all we are looking for is the icing on the cake (the good feelings), and ignoring deeper issues of the heart, then it is possible that we are missing out on all that God has in store for us.  Today I would like to talk about situations when positive thinking is not enough to get us through the really rough spots in life.  Sometimes, many times, God wants us to walk through the dark shadows of the valleys in life because He wants us to live more fully in Him, strengthen our faith, and love more deeply, as He does.  Sometimes this is only possible through grief and hardship.  We must go through the pain of losing something in order to gain something even greater.  It is no coincidence that this has more recently been my experience. 

In the course of my different forms of writing, sometimes I am called upon to respond to blatant untruths as they continue to spring up on many different types of sites on the Internet.  It is a perfect opportunity to spread the Word of God in whatever way possible, and also proclaim the truth of a matter as kindly and thoroughly Scriptural as possible.  This is not something I necessarily enjoy.  I'd rather continue the fun of writing my newest fiction novel, but I know in good conscience that something must be said.  (Jas 4:17   Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.) 

I recently responded to a post by a Universalist who doesn't believe that hell is a place of "eternal" torment, but a temporary place where everyone will eventually make it out once they've served their penance, and then be allowed into heaven after a time.  We know that this is nowhere found in Scripture, so the Universalists take words that are already there (death, hades, eternal, etc.) and re-write them to take out the harshness of the reality of hell as an eternal place of torment.  They also erroneously try and make God out to be something He is not (for one, they eliminate the part of Him that is righteous judge).  Basically, by all appearances they have no holy reverence or a healthy fear of God, so they can create whatever kind of God they choose, and eliminate hell altogether.  I wonder if we subtly do this when we choose only the good things in life (positive thinking) and ignore the reality of the pain of life and do not try to help or love others in the best way possible. (1Jn 3:18    My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. 

My comment was in response to a Universalist who had taken Scripture and twisted it to mean something entirely different than intended.  My heart's intent was not to argue, but to continue to warn anyone reading, that hell is real and not something to be trifled with.  We may get many things wrong in this life, but our eternal destiny is not something to take a gamble on.  I also explained the purpose and importance of salvation, and I also added the importance of reading ALL of Scripture and praying for understanding.  Needless to say, my comments were not well received by one of the Universalists (not the one I was replying to), and so he became malicious and slanderously responded and put words in my mouth that I never would have said in a million years.  I wondered if I should report this commenter and have his comment removed by the webmaster.  But when I prayed about how or if I should respond, I got a "no."  God had something else in mind. 

As the day unfolded and I was hurting from the cruelty of the commenter, something was happening in my soul.  For one thing, I began to realize anew the lies, false accusations, humiliation, and deep pain of what Jesus had to suffer at the hands of His persecutors.   

Isa 53:3    He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 

I discovered that what personal suffering does is that it can make us better, or we can choose an alternate attitude; we can choose to become bitter and too self-focused (want to retaliate, self-pity, self-introspection, etc.).  I realized too that God is my avenger.  I didn't have to say anything to try and clear myself of wrongful and hurtful accusations directed at me.  All I did was pray for this situation and for this misguided person.  In addition to this assault against me, many other things seemed to go wrong with my day.  At one point I cried when I had lost something (my bank card) and couldn't find it anywhere.  So I had to go through the hassle of cancelling it and then driving across town to the bank to get another one.  And other things happened, my printer/scanner wouldn't work, so it caused a great delay in getting my work done, and on and on it went.  I finally just laid it all down and said, "Well Lord, whatever else this day has in store for me, I give it all to you."  Then I had a peace in my heart, and I knew He was with me. 

As it turned out, by the end of the day, God did defend me and avenge the slanderous comment that had been said about me.  Someone else (another commenter) soundly and rightly rebuked the person for assuming I would say something that clearly I would  not, and he wrote an entire Scriptural response in defence of what I had said in the first place.  Wow! God is so awesome. 

What did I learn from all of this?  I learned that rather than try to fight the un-pleasantries in life, sometimes you just have to go with it and give it to God.  Positive thinking won't be able to pull you out of it, only God can.  Sometimes He allows these things to happen to draw us closer to Him.  Most importantly, I learned that what is most precious and priceless to me is to "share in the fellowship" of suffering and discover more of the amazingness of God and His love and faithfulness in ALL circumstances of life.  There is nothing as joyful as seeing the "living" Scripture unfold before your eyes.  I love it when that happens.   

So often, we can only experience the grace and favor of God through difficult and trying circumstances.  In these situations, there is only one remedy - draw close to God.  Positive thinking is not enough because it does not affect our heart and entire soul and being.  Only the Word of God can do that.  What is flesh is of the flesh, what is spirit is of the spirit.  This is what Jesus said: 

Joh 6:63    It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 

I am not saying we should not think positive.  I even wrote a book about it called, Power Thoughts for Positive Thinking.  There are many Scriptures telling us how to think, but we need to be careful we do not get swept away with worldly philosophies surrounding positive thinking as some people present it.  To do so only robs us of a much greater and deeper experience in our walk with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment